Slideshow

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Education is Freedom


One of my classes this term requires us to read 5 different books on Nationalism and Globalization. Both topics are very interesting but currently I am reading one of the Globalization books. The book that I am reading right now is called Development is Freedom. The argument is well summarized in the title but to clarify it is speaking of economic and social development leads to more ability to exercise agency.

I think because I am going to be a professor I automatically gravitate to the idea of education being an extremely important aspect of progression. The book argues that a more educated populace participates more in the community and also brings more economic prosperity. Since I agree with this conclusion I am extremely confused with the country and its policies.

It seems ridiculous to me that teachers receive such a low salary when their occupation is so important to the progress of the community. Did you know that the flight over Manhattan of Air Force One was for a picture? I heard that it cost tax payers either $3,000,000.00 dollars or $300,000.00 dollars, I can't remember exactly but both seem a little steep when we have a trillion dollar budget deficit. Where are our priorities here? Photo shop is way cheaper. And why do we need pictures of Air Force One flying over the statue of Liberty?

Amber wants me to come to bed now so I am ending this but I just had these thoughts so I thought I would share them. We need some serious change in this world if we want the world to be a better place.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you... Though I feel that the discrepency is in lower education. Professors at the university level often times make more than they work, in my opinion. I think that the higher ups in education should do more or make less. I guess I don't mean your typical professor but deans and department heads, or Presidents of colleges... maybe you have a good argument for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this goes for all levels of education. I do agree that some professors are overpaid but there are many that make very little. I plan on teaching at the community college level and they don't get paid that much. I believe the quality of the education is what needs to be worked on. If teachers were paid more the field would be more competetive and that would help improve schools. I think it is ridiculous that I will have my PHD and be making less than the plant workers at GM factories that dropped out of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perception of some(not me), is that teachers get paid enough considering they tend to get good benefits and a lot more vacation time than the average worker (a teacher may work 190 days a year, while most work around 250).

    That being said, the real reason teachers get paid little is purely political. Public education is funded by local, state and federal government money. Most of the government's revenue comes from taxes. In order to raise teacher pay substantially, either taxes would have to go up or funding for other government agencies/projects would have to be cut.

    No politician is going to pine for tax hikes (unless it is a populist-type-tax-the-rich plan like Obama's), so you would really have to look at cutting funding in other places. Obviously, no matter what you do, you are going to piss people off, so politicians have to play a game where they try to balance everything in order to piss off as few people as possible (since their reelection and job depend on that). My guess is that a majority of them think more money should be going into education and higher teacher salaries, but because of the delicate balance that exists in the overall political spectrum, it is difficult to get enough people on board to make a really big difference in how the purse is distributed.

    Having said all of that...I think my wife should get a big fat raise (she is a teacher and it is HARD work).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good insight Alec, to bad everyone in the world doesn't read this blog.

    I had applied for an internship at the Public Policy Institute of California analyzing school finance unfortunately I didn't get it but it would have been interesting to see how the money is spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poulter, quanto tempo!!! Adorei seu blog, agora já tenho no meu... moram no Hawai, legal demais!!!! Sua esposa é lindaa, parabéns!!:) Rechi

    ReplyDelete